Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Based on a Dream

We were drunk and playing around, just having fun, taking pictures.
Then he brought out a camera with film in it, that he said showed the real you.
It sounded strange, but we were drunk, so we said yes, though the happy way our voices echoed made them sound hollow.
From then on, nothing we did was really us.
We were like people trapped in a nightmare of uncomfortable feelings and actions.
We were not joyfully drunk, but we couldn't stop acting and just be what we were. Scared and sober.

He shot the whole roll, and the next day took it to be developed and I agreed to pick them up, since I owed him a favor.
We all agreed not to look at them without each other.
But that was hard for me. I would casually knock the envelope open, and look without touching. I didn't see much, just something dark and a little unfamiliar. My curiosity rose, so I quickly flipped the envelope shut, cutting off our interest, and put it in my bag.

To take my mind off of the pictures, I went to the mall, to try on a dress I'd seen the other day.
While I was there I met a man who would not stop chatting me up. He was too friendly, with a perpetual smiling face which blackened my mood considerably. His cheerful voice and my mood reminded me of what I glimpsed on those pictures. I pushed it out of my mind and instead went to try on an armful of clothes. The man continued talking to me, even when I shut the door for privacy; He was incorrigible.
" So, you trying on clothes? I love clothes! Some people call me a clotheshorse even! Cause I have so many different kinds you see! Haha! Imagine a man loving clothes so much! All those clothes you got, you must be a clotheshorse too, huh? Seems like we have a lot in common, oh hey, what’s this! You dropped some photo here, nothing too racy I hope! Haha! Hope you don't mind if I take a peek?" I hesitated as I heard the envelope open. I should stop him.
"They aren't things you should look at,” I warned, but it was too late. I heard him gasp, the envelope of photos came shooting under my dressing room door and he was gone. Feeling maliciously satisfied I put them in my bag and left the store.

This worried me.

Back at home I put the package on the coffee table, and sat on the couch, thinking. He came to watch it as well. And so we waited for the others to get home.
``````````````````````````
Then I woke up.

2 comments:

bgeorge77 said...

Wait a minnute... when I first read this post, I don't recall anything about "And then I woke up".

Madge DoRightly said...

Welllll it was actually a dream, and I decided I didn't really like it as an actual story, nor did I want to devise an ending so...