Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I was cooking my dinner last week when there was a knock on the door.
I looked through the peephole and saw someone that I thought was my brother. Upon opening the door, however, I saw that it was someone I did not know. Specifically, an attractive male.
He turned out to be a census guy who wanted to know if I knew anything about my neighbor. I'd only met her once so all I could tell him was that she lived alone.
He thanked me and got my name and phone number and left me to my cooking.

This week I was coming home from a long day at work when I saw census guy sitting on the stairs that led to my apartment.

"Hey, you don't happen to live in apartment 411 do you?"
"No, I met you before, remember? I never see the girl who lives there."
"Ohhh right, Madge."
"Yeah, thats right."
"Well, do you know how many people live there"
"Should just be one" I said looking at him. He looked at me. It was one of those moments where you both know you've had this conversation before but are repeating it simply because it's easier than acknowledging it's repetition.
He thanked me for my help and left, I went to my apartment.

Tonight while I was at work I heard the door open and went to help whatever customer had just come in.
He was attractive and familiar.
"Meg"
"Census guy"
"I'm actually not going to be doing the census anymore" he seemed upset.
He explained that they were cutting the part time workers back. He was sad to lose the extra money.
"But don't get me wrong, I do fine."
I gave him his cookies and he paid me.
"No tax? excellent."
He left the building and I went to the back to finish scooping ice cream for the next day.
"Goddamn, census guy is fine"

No comments: