Thursday, February 02, 2006

I got 99 problems and you are one

I was falling asleep in bed after a long day at the sushi restaurant where I worked. It was a busy Friday, and my shift that began at 10:30 a.m. ended, at last, at 12 a.m.

Hart, who had spent another solid day as a jobless man, came in and laid down next to me.

I already knew what was coming, but I hoped that perhaps he would leave me to sleep instead of asking me for sex, as he did every night.*

We talked for a little while; I told him about work and the comically sexist things my Japanese boss yelled and he told me how much he'd saved by buying pot from our friend's roommate down the street. He began cuddling me closer; I knew what was coming and I dreaded it.

"Hey," he whispered in my ear. "Wanna have sex?"

"I really don't want to," I whispered.

"Why not?"

Not wanting to site the overused "I'm too tired," as a reason, I opted for one of the many other choices available.

"Calvin, Shoop, Carson and Steg are all sitting right outside the door."

"They won't be able to hear us; we can be really quiet"

"We don't have a door, they definitely will hear us. Hell, they can probably even see us."

"Come on, they won't even know." He was grinning.

I felt annoyed that he was persisting and more annoyed that I'd not only been asleep, I'd had to work while he'd sat around the apartment watching movies and smoking out.

"Anyway I'm tired from working all day and I still have a yeast infection." I rolled over and closed my eyes to show how sleepy I was.

"You can't still have one."He said, crowding me against the wall."You know, sex would probably help it go away."

I was incredulous. "I'm pretty sure it irritates and makes it worse. Sex and dairy: both bad for the infection. Aside from making it worse in the long run it's also painfully uncomfortable to do it with an infection."

Surely this information would soften his demand; he cared for me and surely would not want to coerce me into sex that was painful! That would make it unenjoyable for both of us!

"Aww, baby, I didn't know that." He gently kissed the back of my neck. "I'll have to be quick then."

I rolled back over and used the wall as a brace as I pushed him off the bed with my feet.

"What?" Hart said from the floor.

Turning back to the wall, I pulled the banket over my head and shut my eyes.

Sometimes when you ignore a problem, it does go away.



*Before I continue, I feel that I must say that I enjoy sex when the pleasure and amount of energy put in is reciprocal, when it does not become a chore, and when I am not guilted or badgered into it, especially if I am on my period or perhaps have a yeast infection from having terrible sex too often.

10 comments:

Cibbuano said...

Poignant, Madge...

What's worse, in this situation? That you could predict that he wanted to have sex? Or that he did nothing all day, and then you're supposed to give it up?

You know what I recommend? If he insists on having sex while you have an infection tell him he has to go down on you. Make him jump some hoops.

Is this a true story?

Anonymous said...

It is definitely true; the worst part is that a similar conversation would occur every day causing me to never never want to have sex with him. I wish I'd thought of your jumping-through-hoops scenario at the time.Brilliant!

Cibbuano said...

I try to avoid the predictibility of sex in my relationships; but it's hard to avoid.

We're simple-minded creatures. If we have mind-blowing sex one time, we'll just want to do it the same way, over and over, like a little kid watching the Little Mermaid.

Madge DoRightly said...

Or in my case, the musical "Annie".

bgeorge77 said...

Or the light-cycle scene in Tron.

But DEFINITELY not like Annie. ARGGHH! I had two little sisters, perfectly spaced in age so that as one was getting over Annie, the other was just getting into it.

I watched--or at least heard--Annie every day for nearly seven years.

It was a hard-knock life, for me.

AND.

If I were you, I would have murdered that boyfriend of yours(mine?).

Does murdering someone make me a murder? Well then so be it.

Madge DoRightly said...

Chris used to have to ride his bike to the movie store to rent the movie for me. He rented it so many times the movie store just gave it to him. I still own it, if you're ever in Austin and you feel like reliving childhood terror just let me know.

bgeorge77 said...

WAIT ONE MINUTE: Who the hell is Shoop? And why is it called Shoop?

That's clue #245 that you were in a bad bad situation.

bgeorge77 said...

As much as women really piss me off with thier unreal sense of reality, men take the cake--the shit cake.

Read

Anonymous said...

I change the names of the people I write about, but his name, while spelled differently, was pronounced Shoop. Also they all had nicknames that were usually spinoffs of real hip hop artists like Nate dog, J-steck, J-hart and Cee-lo.

That blog was both awful and well written. There are so many people I know that fit these descriptions and it's just crazy-making to watch them do it to themselves over and over.

Cibbuano said...

I told your story to my girlfriend, she laughed, and later that night, she came up to me and said 'Wanna have sex?'.

I said 'Sure!'

It doesn't work both ways, I don't think...