Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pointing towards trouble

It was around 6 AM, I was alone at work, chopping spring onions hastily and obviously not paying much attention. I glanced down just as the knife nicked my finger. I was using a new, sharper knife that day and had underestimated it's finer points.
"Ah, shit." I said, unworried. Then I actually looked at my finger and noticed a sizeable piece missing.
I wheezed in surprise, a few thoughts went through my head in rapid succession as I tried to figure out what I should do:

  • Oh shit, I've never cut my finger, this is the first real cut I've ever had.
  • It's not bad enough to warrant a freaking out or calling anyone.
  • It is bleeding rather profusely though, more than a bandaid could handle
  • It really fucking stings!
  • I should do something and not just stand here.
  • I'll hold it over my head and get a napkin to stop it from running everywhere.
  • and cut off the circulation.
So I did. It took a while and I ended up taping a fat napkin over my finger while it insistantly bled. Later, though, I realized that was a bad idea. The napkin had dried to my wound and peeling it off felt like a slow, zinging burn. "AHHHH" I said.

Later my flatmates and I sat around in the kitchen and shared stories of people we knew losing pieces of fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just another example of the missing finger curse that runs in our family. Be very afraid!
Love,
Dad